I love movies but is it worth waiting for the DVD?

Home Forums Other Topics I love movies but is it worth waiting for the DVD?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  cookies21 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Forest Parks
    Participant

When trying to save money things like going to the cinema suddenly become a serious treat! For someone that loves movies I find it hard to wait but worth the money savings. OF course it means I end up behind on a lot of the biggest movies!

clgp1953
    Participant

I am with you on this one!!! I have found a theater near my home that has $5 matinees before 6 p.m.  Can’t eat or drink because that would add another $15 or more for two sodas and a popcorn. I have, however,  been known to smuggle in enough treats to feed my family!

The more artsy movies I want to see are about 5 blocks from me and the admission is $6, soda and popcorn are $1 each.  It is a small and intimate place. Love it and I go there by myself for alone time.

That said-I spend way too much on DVDs.  I have more than I can count on my shelves-I have even purchased multiple seasons of TV series that my cheapo cable subscription does not include.

In the long run, it may be less expensive for me to see a movie at a matinee and not eat popcorn or drink a soda by myself-but buying the new releases usually costs me less than a ticket for me and my daughter or guest with refreshments. And, I can watch the movie more than once.

This is one of  those areas that I could make progress in my budget, but I really like movies.

backstagebethy
    Participant

This used to be a big problem for me. I love going to the movies, especially for big blockbusters–The Avengers wouldn’t have been the same on my small screen, at least not for the first viewing!

But I rarely purchase DVDs anymore; I’ve bought maybe 5 in the past 18 months. Between Netflix disc subscriptions and Amazon Prime Instant Videos, I usually don’t feel compelled to buy anything because I know I always have something to watch–even if it’s not my first choice at the moment. If I’m watching a TV series via Netflix, I sometimes up my plan to 2 DVDs out at a time, instead of one, so I can keep the new episodes coming.

I also use the library (both public and at the university where I work), which cuts down on costs. And I have a handful of items on my wishlist at SwapADVD.com, so I can clean out my collection and get new items in.

Deacon
    Participant

I am a HUGE movie buff. When we were getting out debt we didn’t go to many movies. However, here is a link to a post I wrote about how to watch movies for cheap: http://wellkeptwallet.com/2012/06/how-to-watch-movies-for-cheap I hope you find that helpful!

getgoodhabits
    Participant

Instead of buying a TV to watch Netflix movies (I don’t have cable, so what was the point of a big TV?) I bought a lovely projector for under $300, and use my blank wall. It’s awesome. This is only really a deal if you, like me, don’t have cable and need something to watch your DVDs on. otherwise you’d just be spending money on more stuff! If you have kids they’d get a kick out of it.

cookies21
    Participant

For me it is worth waiting because it less effort and you can save money.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You need be logged in to post

Login or Register